Tuesday, December 8, 2009

FALL OF EFRAFA



I came across this band because I was at the Punk Rawk Record Swap hosted by JTA at L'Esco this fall. Some kid had Owsla in his distro and tried to get me to trade for something I had but to be honest I had not heard of them and I was not in the mood to try something new that day. So a good couple of months passed and I went to Varning Fest at Katacombes. This night another dude had the Owsla LP and Inle 2xLP in his distro. At this point I had them recommended to me by a couple of friends and I had a good feeling about this and went for it! Not even realizing that the band's whole concept was based on one of my favorite novels ever written "Watership Down" by Richard Adams. This really just sweetened the deal for me. When I got home and I listened to these LPs I was floored at the shear power and strength of their songs, very emotive. These albums became instant classics for me. I seriously fell in love.

Here is a video from a show they did in NJ on their US tour last year. It is just a part of a song but it is really awesome.


I am going to put up a direct quote from the Fall of Efrafa's website so you can better understand their whole concept.

"FALL OF EFRAFA is a band based around a reimagining of the mythological and political overtones in the book "watership down" by Richard Adams, focusing our efforts in forwarding atheist/animal rights ideologies. we write very long epic, heavy, melancholic post hardcore, taking influence from post rock, post metal, ambient black metal, hardcore etc.
We are currently working on the final chapter of a trilogy of records known as "THE WARREN OF SNARES" - which began with our first record OWSLA, (meaning warrior or defender) which set the narrative of an unnamed society in the final throws of a war against mankind. A society that still clings to the dwindling beliefs of its elders, yet struggles to break free of stagnating ideology.
ELIL (meaning enemy, or predator)was our second full length and dealt with these beliefs, and the oppressive reign of religious indoctrination. In this chapter, the society finally overthrows the rule of their god, Frith.
The final chapter, which we are currently writing, is called INLE (meaning both death, and the name of a deific character within the societies beliefs) This is the final recording effort of Fall of efrafa, and also the end of the trilogy. It will deal with hope, in the face of death.
The trilogy is cyclical, with Owsla being the first, and last chapter. Although the music we play has changed and progressed since our inception, we try to keep a cohesive sound and story, that follows the narrative. Inlé, the final record will be released late august 2009.
As a band we encourage people to talk more openly about animal rights and strive for a future in which humanity ceases to be dependent on the exploitation and slaughter of non human animals. It is easy to label this as preaching or arrogance, but communication is how we learn. Debating such issues only helps us become more aware of our actions, be that for political and social change or an end to religious oppression.
All the members of Fall Of Efrafa are vegan and atheist. Although we are open to discussion, we hope that those who listen to our music appreciate that these values are as important to us as the music itself. Please read the lyrics and explanations."

Sadly and to my dismay I learned that Fall of Efrafa played their final show on Saturday 5th December 2009 at the Westhill Community Hall in Brighton, UK.


Here is the link to the Fall of Efrafa website so you can learn more about them and what they wanted from this band/concept/project.


Here are the links to all three of the LPs from this trilogy of serious awesome proportions.

Part I - Owsla
Part II - Inle
Part III - Elil

No comments:

Post a Comment